OOTN: Black Panther Premiere with Ankara Print & Crisscross Action
Happy New Year! Yes, I said New Year. This is my first post for the year, so I feel that it is only right that I say it. Truth is I have been in a sewing slump since mid-December. I went through a real dry spell, with absolutely no motivation to make anything. Not that I didn't try, because I did and there is an unfinished project sitting in my basket.
In January, I decided to break the dry spell by doing simple projects. It was a great plan, but I didn't take into account my work schedule. Work became super hectic, and I had to put sewing aside. However, about three weeks ago I found myself super stressed and realized it was because all I had been doing was going to working and going home to watch tv. Enough was enough; I pledged to myself to sew one hour a week every day to get myself out of the rut.
Surprisingly, this may have worked. If you follow me on Instagram, then you know that the dry spell has ended. I did miss some days because I was too tired from working out, but sewing took place at least five days a week for the last two weeks. Additionally, in an effort to make room for future spring fabric purchases, I am currently only doing projects that will work with fabric in my stash. So that means a lot of posts will be coming your way in March.
That goal also lead to this project. This top was made last minute because I decided to see black panther opening weekend, instead of the following week as planned. I knew that I would have to do something simple since I only had one day to make it. I bought McCalls 6751 months ago because it reminded me of the top I made for my niece (M6912). It is a simple pattern, and since I had gone through the motions sewing McCalls 6912, it took no time to cut this out and sew it together. 6751 has three additional views, two of which I plan to try out in a knit.
Finishing the seams with bias tape took about an hour, but it was worth it. I omitted the front pocket on my top, but it is a cute detail to consider if I make this view again. I also added Velcro to the back opening because the back wouldn't stay closed. Not shocking because the pattern calls for fabric with more drape than the Ankara Print has. Regardless, I was still happy with the results, and it was perfect for the movie premiere. It wasn't perfect, but it looked good enough to wear out the house. It took me about two hours to make this top from cut to finish. If you are new to sewing or looking for something quick and simple, this is the pattern for you. Especially with warmer weather around the corner. Happy sewing.